- As can be expected, Team USA were dejected after the loss. Donovan Mitchell and head coach Gregg Popovich were asked about how this loss impacts the formation of future teams and if having other NBA players would’ve made a difference. Their reactions were, to put it succinctly, not very pleasant.
- “And I think it’s a disrespectful notion to even bring something like that up. Hey, you didn’t have this guy, that guy. That’s disrespectful to France or whoever else is in the tournament. France beat us. It doesn’t matter who is on the team. I couldn’t be more prouder of these 12 guys who sacrificed their summer to come here having never played together before. They put themselves in the arena and competed and they deserve credit for that. Just like France deserves credit for winning. It’s not about, well, United States didn’t have their other guys. There’s no such thing as the ‘other’ guys. These are the guys who are here, they did a great job and I’m very proud of them.” – USA head coach Gregg Popovich
- FINAL SCORE: 89-79
Au revoir USA!!! France stun the Americans in their knockout Semi-Finals game here at the Dongguan Basketball Center! It’s France’s first-ever World Cup win over Team USA, and how!
LES FRANCAIS RENVERSENT LES ETATS-UNIS (89-79) ET ACCEDENT AUX DEMI-FINALES 🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷
BRAVO LES BLEUS !!!!!! 🔥🔥🔥 pic.twitter.com/4rCTOWJfdK
— First Team (@FirstTeam101) September 11, 2019
- TCL Player of the Game: Rudy Gobert (FRA) – 21 points, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists, 1 steal.
- Rudy Gobert has shut down Donovan Mitchell in the fourth! After Mitchell scored 16 points in the third, he hasn’t scored since! And young gun Frank Ntilikina has been HUGE!!!
- BIG MOMENT: Gobert alters Jaylen Brown’s shot, De Colo is fouled and hits 1 free throw on the other end! France up 6 with 26.5 left!
- Kemba on the line for three FTs to cut the deficit to three points… he makes just 1! France lead by 5 with 42.8 seconds to go!
- Fun French Fact: Rudy Gobert has grabbed 15 rebounds today, the most for a French player in a FIBA Basketball World Cup game since 1994.
- Team USA have outscored France 6-2 in the first 2 minutes of the fourth quarter! Their offense is humming! What do France have up their sleeve to counter this?
- France had Team USA on the ropes in the third quarter, nearly breaking the game wide open, but Donovan Mitchell put his superhero cape on, danced around the defense, and scored 16 of his 29 points in the period!
Team USA lead, 66-63, heading into the final 10 minutes!Leading Scorers:
Donovan Mitchell (USA) – 29 points
Evan Fournier (France) – 20 points
- Evan Fournier is burning Team USA by stopping and popping thanks to those high ball-screens! Fournier is a certified baller! Now with 13 points and three triples!
- Nando De Colo sank a helluva shot from the parking lot to beat the buzzer and a few plays after assisted on a triple by Andrew Albicy! France have a 5-point lead now early in the second!
- It’s tip-off time here at the Dongguan Basketball Center between Team USA and France!Fun Fact: This will be the fourth encounter between USA and France in the FIBA Basketball World Cup, with Team USA winning all three previous contests with Les Bleus. However, the last time both teams have met was back in 1963.What’s at stake: Winner faces Argentina in the Semi-Finals in Beijing. Loser is relegated to the 5th-8th Place Classification Round.Starters:
🇺🇸- Mitchell, Harris, Barnes, Turner, Walker
🇫🇷- Ntilikina, Batum, Fournier, Gobert, M’BayeHere we go! Let’s get it on in Dongguan!
- When France’s Nando De Colo’s short career in the NBA ended, a lot of people felt he didn’t have what it takes to go toe-to-toe with the best in the world. He has proven his doubters wrong, though, especially with all the accolades he’s earned playing in the EuroLeague, even being named EuroLeague MVP in 2016. Can he, once again, prove he can hack it against Team USA’s NBA-laden roster in tonight’s do-or-die affair?
- “We need to stay together and think about our next game. To go as far as possible we will have to go through the United States.” – France guard Nando De Colo
- Big man Myles Turner isn’t the biggest name on Team USA’s roster, but he has been standing tall for the team. He is coming off his best performance at the World Cup yet, registering 16 points, 8 rebounds and 2 steals as they beat Brazil. Tonight he will face off with France’s Rudy ‘Stifle Tower’ Gobert, and Turner believes he’s up to the challenge.
- “This is a lot different basketball than NBA basketball. My role is to provide energy, rebound and block shots. That’s what I do. I’m trying to put my focus and energy into doing those things. Looking forward to the matchup with Rudy Gobert. He’s a good defensive player. I’m ready.” – USA center Myles Turner
- Across the pond for Team France, head coach Vincent Collet is hoping his team will respond to their tough loss to Australia by raising their level against the Americans. His team has had to deal with many challenges at the World Cup, but he hopes they can bounce back strong tonight in Dongguan.
- Team USA have successfully qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. It will be their 18th appearance at the Olympic Games, but their mission here isn’t over yet. They want to the defend their title and be the first country to win three straight World Cups. Before that, however, they have to get past dangerous France first tonight in Dongguan. Coach Gregg Popovich, for one, hopes they can play much better offense, especially after their scoring dropped off in the Second Round.
- “We’re thrilled that we qualified for the Olympics. I guess when we play the game [against France], we’ll find out if we can [play better offense].” – USA head coach Gregg Popovich
- Bold prediction of the day: France were one or two stops away from avoiding this matchup with the Americans, but their Second Round loss to Australia put them in this tough position. France have the tools to upset Team USA, but it won’t happen. The Americans will view this as their biggest test yet, and I see them passing with flying colors.
- “We have a quarterfinal against the strongest team in the competition, but until proven otherwise, we are alive. It will be necessary to manage fatigue of the travel in addition to that of the match whereas the Americans are already on the spot, but we will give everything to succeed in the impossible feat.” – France head coach Vincent Collet
Below are the list of the Broadcasters to Watch FIBA 2019 Second Round Games Live Streaming on the TV Channels;